Waka Waka…This time for Leena!


How can one not complete 5k in one’s personal best time when Shakira is crooning “Waka Waka…This time is for Leena”( yeah, I tweaked the lyrics just a bit in my mind)but it really worked! I heard this song 3 times close to the end of the race. Her voice was like adrenaline, kept me sprinting toward the distant black and white finish flag.

Before the race, I told myself again and again, and yet again, don’t start running too fast in the beginning, but nah, I never listen to myself. I sprinted off hastily when, organizer said “Go” in his high pitch voice, I was hoping to begin with a “bang” he said he forgot his gun at home

By the time I was about 1.5k, there was this athletic type guy running in the opposite direction, I thought he had lost his way, but then it struck me, he was almost done 3.5k and heading back to winning the medal and relinquish pancakes ( Organizer had pancakes after the race for all)

I increased my music to another decibel, took a deep breath and kept following the red arrowed marked path. It was an awesome experience, so many friends, family member and volunteers encouraging runners to the finish line.

Keeping humility aside for a bit, I am so proud to complete my first 5k much ahead of my record time, this is definitely an achievement for me.

Few things that I said I want to accomplish in my previous blog-
Running (not walking) my little heart out to the finish line- Oh yeah, I ran the whole 5k!
Not to be last to finish- I didn’t have to worry about that at all.
Not cry after I finish the race- a tear or two don’t actually count, do they?
Enjoy the experience and have fun!- It was a remarkable experience!

I was considering not to race at all for few unavoidable reasons, but with motivation and inspiration from my husband and my ex colleague, buddy, pro-runner Heather, I did it and I am no long a racing virgin!:)

10 comments:

Heather said...

Love it, love it, love it! I've been waiting for a race review so thought I'd check quick before I shut down the computer for the night.

I do the same thing when I find a song that really gets me going...I play it over and over! :)

I can just picture being on that race w/ you...the guy running back b/c he's already over half way done...wanting to take off too quickly at the beginning...turning up the music for extra motivation...I love it!!

I'm so glad you're already planning another race! Keep it up!

Pro-runner?? HA! :) You crack me up.

Okay, this is a super long comment, but I was excited to read your post on your run. Talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

How awesome and inspirational! It's a dream (and a goal) of mine to one day run a marathon, but I know I have to take it slow and build up my regimen with some 5ks and the like. Hearing success stories from fellow SITS gals is exactly what I need, thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

I just noticed, you don't have a SITS button yet, you need one! http://www.thesitsgirls.com/

Moi! said...

Thanks Rachel!My goal is also to run a marathon someday, taking baby steps with 5k:)
Will def. chk SITS out

Moi! said...

Thanks Heather! I cant wait for my next 5k!
All the best for your trail race!

Rayman said...

My friends also loves running 15k to 20k, they've invited me to run too. Yes indeed it's best for ones health. Will consider it soon.

I've followed you on network blogs and also to your google follower. Please kindly return the favor to my blog www.blognirayman.blogspot.com

Moi! said...

Rayman,running is fun and addictive :)
I will def. chk out your blog

A.M said...

your posting is really unique and interesting

Iskandar Hussein said...

Hi Leena, yes , running is fun and addictive .. it was tough when I started my first 5k infact my first 1k...

Until now, I still can't run with music.. I envy you on that...

Moi! said...

Iskandar, Music is my energizer, I don't know if I could run without my Ipod.
I am in awe of people like you who dont need music as motivator.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Still contemplating and discovering!?!

Followers

You on NetworkedBlogs!


Recent Comments